We have several volunteer opportunities available and we could always use help!
Please consider helping out in one of these areas:
- Foster care - some animals have trouble staying in the shelter or need a little extra tender, love, and care before being adopted. These animals need a foster home to go to for a few weeks.
- Adoption assistance - come help us get the animals adopted faster! This can include paperwork, creating adoption packets or helping people with their animal visits.
- Socializing/Playing with cats - don't forget the cats! We need help getting some of the cats out of their kennels to play and expend energy or some just want to cuddle in your lap for a while.
- Special events - PetCo events. We need help taking cats to Petco each Saturday (morning and late afternoon) and twice a month we take dogs to Petco for more exposure.
- Walking dogs - walking the dogs is not only great for the dogs but great for you! You can take them for a walk to the park or just some great play time out in the play yard.
- Grooming - want to help bathe some dogs? No professional expertise needed. This helps the dogs feel and look better to find their forever home.
- Photographer - great pictures bring in adopters! No professional expertise needed. Help us get that cute photo or funny video.
- Transport Animals - we send many animals to other organizations for a better chance at adoption. We need help getting them there so if you are able to use your own vehicle to transport a dog or a couple of cats just let us know!
All of our volunteers go through the Volunteer Center, please contact them at 620-665-4960 or online at Volunteer Center. This will get the process started. We require you attend a volunteer orientation at the shelter and set a schedule for volunteering that works for you and helps staff know who is coming in each day.
Schedules can be set from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends. We ask for at least 1 or 2 hours a week.